Activity 1 – Introducing Invasives
Download Teacher Pages PDFActivity (Teacher Verison) PDF Download
Download Student Pages PDFActivity PDF Download
Materials & Setup
• Depending on your students’ reading comprehension level, you can assign the Student Page “From Isolation to Globalization” as homework, or present the slideshow in class.
• Rain Forest Module Unit 3 Activity #2 “Adaptive Radiation in Rain Forest Birds” is helpful but not necessary; it may be completed afterwards for enrichment.
• “Introducing Invasives” slideshow included on the DVD is available here –> Download Introducing Invasives Slideshow
• “Species Glossary” on the DVD
For each student
• Student Pages “From Isolation to Globalization” (pp. 9-13)
• Student Page “Invasive Species Crossword” (pp. 14-15)
1) Ask students to list on a piece of paper as many examples of native Hawaiian plants and animals as they can think of.
2) Discuss the definitions of native (including endemic and indigenous species), and non-native (including canoe plants, introduced, and invasive species) using Teacher Background Page “Definitions” (pp. 3-6) as guidance.
3) Have students read their lists in turn, writing “N” for native, “C” for canoe plant or animal, and “I” for introduced beside each item. The student with the most unique “N” listings can win a prize. Use the “Species Glossary” on the DVD included with this curriculum as a reference.
Note: If you aren’t sure which heading a particular species falls under, you can assign finding the answer to students for homework.
4) Present the slideshow “From Isolation to Globalization” and/or have the students the read Student Pages “From Isolation to Globalization” (pp 9-13). Spend the remainder of the class discussing the slideshow and reading. As vocabulary words are read, have students write the definitions down. Tell them that they will need these to complete the “Invasive Species Crossword.”
5) Assign the Student Page “Invasive Species Crossword” in class or as homework.
Note: All the answers are included in boldface type in the slideshow script and the reading assignment.
6) Once they’ve completed the lesson, have students revisit their list and add as many native (N), canoe (C), introduced (I), and invasive (IN) species as they can.
• What did you learn about plants and animals you thought were native?
• Pick five of the vocabulary words from the reading and write a paragraph using all five.
• Pretend you are a seed or spore just blown in on the wind from far away. Write a story detailing your origin, your journey, and how you adapted (over millennia) to the new environment in which you found yourself.
• Participation in class discussion
• Student Page “Invasive Species Crossword”
• Student’s list of native, canoe, introduced, and invasive species
• Journal entries