Unit 4 – Keeping An Eye On Coral Reefs
Activity 2 – Protecting Coral Reefs
Download Teacher Pages PDFActivity (Teacher Verison) PDF Download
Download Student Pages PDFActivity PDF Download
Materials & Setup
In Advance Student Assignment
• Assign the Student Page “Keeping an Eye on Coral Reefs” (pp. 22-25) as homework. This homework assignment includes Internet research on coral reef problems and protection.
Class Period One
For each student
• Student Page “Keeping an Eye on Coral Reefs” (pp. 24-27)
1) Lead a class discussion that focuses on the ideas students generated through their Internet research. The discussion should cover:
• How monitoring is being used to document the health of coral reefs,
• What is being done in other parts of the world to protect coral reefs from specific threats,
• What is being done on Maui and in other parts of Hawaiÿi to protect coral reefs,
• What students think should be done to protect Maui coral reefs,
• What students could do to help protect Maui coral reefs,
• How people’s actions on land and in the water affect coral reefs, and
• What other information students might need to make informed decisions about Maui coral reef protection.
• Have you ever been snorkeling, swimming, or diving near coral reefs? If so, what was it like? If not, what do you think it would be like?
• Why are Maui coral reefs important to you?
• How do you think you and your family affect Maui coral reefs in your daily lives? (This question could be used before and after the unit to see if student views change based on what they learn.)
• What are the most important things one person can do to help protect Maui coral reefs?
• In Kumulipo, the Hawaiian creation chant, the coral polyp is considered to be the first living organism created and the origin of all life. How do you think ancient Hawaiians treated coral reefs based on this belief? What would be the same and what would be different today if people acted in this way?
• Two-page Internet research report
• Participation in class discussion
• Journal entries