Unit 2 – Rain Forest Relationships
Activity 1 – Rain Forest Relationships
Download Teacher Pages PDFActivity (Teacher Verison) PDF Download
Student version not available
Materials & Setup
• “Rain Forest Slide Show” (included with this curriculum)
• “Rain Forest Slide Show Script” (pp. 6-12)
• Slide projector and screen
1) Show and narrate the slide show using the script.
2) As homework, or for the remainder of the class period, have students write responses to questions posed in the last segment of the slide show or the following questions:
• What impact do you think the loss of native rain forests has had on native plant and animal species?
• How about the ability to live and practice traditional Hawaiian culture?
• Do you believe preserving rain forest habitat on Haleakalā is important? Why or why not?
• Have you ever been in the native rain forest? If so, what was it like? If not, what do you think it would be like?
• Do you believe the Hawaiian concepts of wao akua and wao kanaka are useful today? If so, how? If not, why not?
• Should the Hawaiian concepts of wao akua and wao kanaka be used in managing the Haleakalā rain forest today? If so, how? If not, why not? Be specific.
• Writing assignment
• Journal entries