Unit 2 – Rain Forest Relationships
Activity 4 – Rain Forest Trivia
Download Teacher Pages PDFActivity (Teacher Verison) PDF Download
Download Student Pages PDFActivity PDF Download
Materials & Setup
1) You may use this activity to assess student learning from Activity #3 “Rain Forest Species Presentations.” To do this, hand out one copy of the student page “Rain Forest Trivia Questions” to each student in advance of the in-class presentations. Students should write on the Student Page the two questions they think other students should be able to answer after listening to the presentation, as well as the answers to those questions.
2) Label each of three large envelopes with one of the following categories: Native Invertebrates, Native Birds, Native Plants.
3) Prior to each presentation, the student should give you his or her two “Rain Forest Trivia Questions.” Monitor the presentations to make sure students cover the answers to these questions during their presentations. Then place the questions into the appropriate envelope (Native Invertebrates, Native Birds, Native Plants).
Class Period One
For each student
• Student Page “Rain Forest Trivia Questions” (p. 47)
• Students’ Rain Forest Trivia cards, categorized into the three labeled envelopes
1) Go around the class, asking each student a question drawn from one of the envelopes. Rotate among categories for variety, or have each student select a category.
2) Draw a card from that category, read the question, and have the student answer it. If the student cannot answer it correctly, open the question to the rest of the class. Allow time for clarification and explanations from the student who wrote the question, after other students have answered (or attempted to answer) each question.
3) You may make this activity competitive by dividing the class into teams and scoring a point for each correct answer. In this competitive version, the student who wrote the question is not allowed to answer it until someone else has offered an answer, even if s/he is on the team receiving the question.
• What was the most interesting thing you learned about native Haleakalā rain forest species? Why?
• Student Page “Rain Forest Trivia Questions”
• Participation in Rain Forest Trivia game and student recollection of answers to trivia questions s/he wrote
• Journal entries