Activity 1 – Small Wonders: Bogs in the Haleakala Rain Forest Slide Show
Download Teacher Pages PDFActivity (Teacher Verison) PDF Download
Student version not available
Materials & Setup
• “Small Wonders” slide show (included with this curriculum)
• “Small Wonders” slide show script (pp. 6-8)
• Slide projector and screen
1) Show and narrate the “Small Wonders” slide show.
2) Use the journal ideas as discussion questions, or have students work on them during the remainder of the class and as homework
• Have you ever overwatered a houseplant or left it without enough sunlight? What happened? (If you’ve never done this, what do you think would happen?) Why would most types of plants have difficulty living in bog areas with heavy cloud cover, frequent fog, and standing water or soggy soils?
• Besides bogs, what are some other waterlogged habitats? Find pictures on the Internet or in magazines to illustrate some of these environments. How do they seem to compare with the bogs on Haleakalā?
• How would you feel if you were the person who discovered the pig damage in Greensword Bog? What would you want to do about it?
• Do you think it’s worth the effort to put up fences to keep pigs out of bogs and other parts of the rain forest and then to continually patrol and repair the fences? Why or why not?
• Journal entries
• Participation in class discussion