Materials & Setup
In Advance Student Reading
- Assign the Student Page “Adaptive Radiation in Hawaiian Honeycreepers” (pp. 4-8) as homework.
Class Period One
For each student
- Many native birds are not found in low-elevation areas on Maui. Do you think that native birds once occupied these lowland areas? How would you go about finding out?
- Do you think anything should be done to protect the remaining Hawaiian honeycreepers? Why or why not?
- Keeping in mind the different human-caused pressures that have led to declines and extinctions among Hawaiian honeycreepers, what do you think can be done to protect the species that remain?
- Imagine being a traditional Hawaiian bird catcher, collecting thousands of feathers over your lifetime. What do you think it would have been like to work mostly alone in the forests of the gods?